Thursday, September 8, 2011

conviction from the unlikely...

Overwhelmed. That’s how I feel every time I stop at a light and see another person holding up a sign expressing need. What can I do to make a difference in these precious lives—does giving them a $5 bill really help? Ease my conscience? What can I really do anyway? If I’m being completely honest most of the time I find myself hunting around for loose bills (which, let’s face it, who carries cash these days?) or spare change and by the time I find something to give the light is green and horns are sounding. We’re always in such a hurry. And, I often have to fight those judgmental thoughts that like to show their ugly faces. Who am I to judge? I don’t even know their situations. Do I even care to know where they’ve been and what they’ve seen…or am I more concerned about my agenda and my comfortable ministry? Truth: I would rather not step too far out there—that’s just, well, uncomfortable.

So yesterday I was faced with this dilemma. I was the only car at the light, in the left hand turn lane on my way home. There was a young man, maybe around 25, on the right corner pulling his arms around himself to stay warm and dry. What can I do, Lord? What? About that time a young guy pulled up next to me in a red Audi. He was getting a cigarette for himself and without a moment’s hesitation he pulled out his last cigarette and searched around, I’m guessing, in his console until he found what he was looking for. He rolled the passenger window down and motioned for the man. With his arm stretched far and a big smile on his face he handed the man a cigarette, a lighter and a waded piece of paper, (I’m going to go out on a limb here and say it was money). As I watched this brief encounter I couldn’t hold back the tears. There was absolutely no judgment passed between the two, there was no reservation, no second thought. In no way am I condoning or suggesting that we aide addictions, but what are we, as believers, doing? And, more importantly, is it working?  I can almost guarantee you that that man on the corner would have listened to anything that the guy in the red car had to say. He gave generously, was kind and passed no judgment. I was convicted…by a cigarette…to change my thinking towards what ministry should look like.

I’m not going to start passing out cigarettes or anything, but I know that I will not take a passive role any longer with this issue. I’m praying for holy intervention and creativity, and I’m going to take action. My heart’s passion is women’s ministry—I love it! I am refreshed and refined when I am able to pour into the lives of women. However, that doesn’t excuse me from neglecting the needs of others. Love. It knows no limits or boundaries. It’s unconditional in its purest form. And I know the only One who loves so selflessly, perfectly. Shouldn’t they?

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another: just as I have loved you, you also are to love one another. By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.
-John 13:34-35

No comments:

Post a Comment