Thursday, January 19, 2012

moment of surrender

I've been so captivated by the stories in the Old Testament lately. I always am! I mean, you can't make this stuff up; it's "sit on the edge of your seat" kind of good. If you like a good adventure, danger and good always prevailing over evil, there's just nothing better than the holy book itself. This year my word is courage--I haven't even gotten all the way through Genesis yet and already I'm surrounded by men and women of courage. Let's start with father Abraham, God told him to sacrifice his son Isaac, and just as it looks like Abraham's beloved is a goner God sends a lamb as a sacrifice. What courage and faith! Then there's Rebekah who leaves her family to go and marry Isaac, a man that she's never met, never seen. Blind faith and courage! And, let's not forget Joseph, denying Potiphar's wife, finding favor in prison and eventually telling the meaning of dreams to the king himself. Isn't it so encouraging that the Lord uses ordinary people, flawed people, to do extraordinary things for the Kingdom! It's beautiful!

The more time I spend with the Lord that more I realize why He has given me the word courage this year. Because there is no place for cowards in heaven. Revelation 21:8 says But for the cowardly and unbelieving and abominable and murderers and immoral persons and sorcerers and idolaters and all liars, their part will be in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone, which is the second death. The opposite of faith is fear; when push comes to shove and faith is all that's left do I believe that that's enough?

Yesterday I felt the Lord prompting me like Peter, Andrea, do you love me? Of course I love you, Lord. But, I knew what he was asking, what he was requiring. And, for the first time, truly ever, I gave over my hopes and dreams. Abba, Father, if I never get married, if I never have children, if I never speak to a stadium full of women, if I never write a book, if I loose my health, wealth and all my possessions...I've got more than enough because I've got you. It was so freeing! I don't have to try to make those things happen--I mean I've always known that in my head, but my heart just wouldn't let them go. It's all those bold prayers I've been praying lately, directly calling out Satan and telling him that he has no place in my life! And, as I was experiencing peace to the depths of my soul this is what I heard:

Well...it's about time! Now, let's go!


I know that this is something that I will have to lay before the Lord daily as I take up my cross to follow Him, but man-oh-man, I wish I would have done this sooner.

...perfect Love casts out all fear...the one who fears is not perfected in Love
-1 John 4:18

Press on, dear soldier!

No comments:

Post a Comment