Sunday, November 18, 2012

days of praise: bearing fruit during a drought

But blessed is the one who trusts in the Lord, whose confidence is in him. They will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit.
-Jeremiah 17:7-8

Have you ever experienced a season of spiritual drought. Those times when the Lord just does not feel as close as he once did. Maybe you are not hearing his voice as clearly or often as you once did. Maybe he does not seem to be revealing truth to you like he once did. Maybe you are finding that friendships have changed or things in life just aren't going as smoothly as before. These seasons are hard. I know all too well. When I experience these times I often question what I've done, or why things are suddenly different. My natural tendency is to focus inward, to protect and preserve myself.

The danger is that when I am focused on me I am often blind to the needs of others. In trying to relive a feeling or encounter I forget that there are some who are longing to have their first encounter with him, looking for hope. How many opportunities have I missed during these seasons? The Lord is so good and wants us to experience him, however, just like everything else our relationship with him is ever changing and we walk through different seasons with him as we grow. And, in this upside-down kingdom, it is often during the hard times, the droughts, where we experience the greatest spiritual growth.

I have been walking with the Lord for a long time, my roots go deep. I am well grounded in the knowledge of him, in truth. And during these times I have to remind myself that he is the living water, my well-spring of life and even when I cannot sense him like I once could I know that he is right there beside me. I know I am growing, and since I receive my nourishment from the well of living-water I know that I can bear fruit and pour into others whether times are going well or..simply hard.

We can cultivate the fruit of the Spirit, (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, self-control), serve others and shine our lights brightly no matter what our circumstances or how we are feeling. So, no matter the season we should remain connected through reading the Word, praying, communing with the Lord, knowing that his promises and love remain true and deep always.

No comments:

Post a Comment