Thursday, November 15, 2012

days of praise: up and open

saying, Father if you are willing, remove this cup from Me; yet, not My will, but Yours be done.
-Luke 22:42

Living a life of surrender is hard; it requires us to loosen the grip of control that we try to have over certain things/areas in our lives. It requires us to stop trying to manipulate and start standing on truth, putting our trust in the very One who never leaves us nor forsakes us. He who has promises that He knows the plans for our futures and promises to uphold us with his righteous right hand.

Years ago the Lord revealed to me that there were certain areas that I was not giving over to him completely. He gave me the picture of a string tied to a helium balloon. I would offer him lip service in the surrendering of these areas, but at the last moment would grab the end of the string, perhaps I had even convinced myself that I had fully surrendered to the Lord. I hadn't. And, truly releasing my grip, one finger at a time, was hard and painful and an act of obedience, trust and hope.

One of my dear sweet friends and I call this palms up and open, up and open for short. We keep each other accountable with these words, or even simply with the actual gesture. It's not a judgement call, but a reminder. A reminder that maybe we're hanging on to the things of this world a little too tightly, a reminder that he is in control. The situation might not turn out the way we hope, but we can rest assured that it is always good if we allow him to take over. But, maybe more than anything it's a visual reminder of the release necessary to set us free from the bondage, the lies.

So, dear ones, trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make you path straight. (Proverbs 3:5-6)

He loves you more than you know. He sees more than you see. His ways and thoughts are higher..much higher.

No comments:

Post a Comment