Saturday, November 17, 2012

days of praise: breath of life

But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all that I said to you.
-John 14:26

For the past several months I've visited different churches that have been studying the Holy Spirit, my own here in Colorado included. Perhaps one of the most interesting things that I've recently learned about this mystery person of the trinity was in a message by Pastor Chris Hodges where he explains that the English translation, Spirit, does not convey the same meaning as the Hebrew and Greek words used. Ruwach is the word used in Hebrew, meaning a wind, breath, a violent exhalation, blast of breath. Pneauma is the Greek word used, meaning a current of air, blast of breath, a strong breeze. In other words, the Holy Spirit is a wind, breath. Wind is unseen, unpredictable, powerful. John 3:8 says ...the wind blows wherever it pleases. You hear it's sound, but you cannot tell where it comes from or where it is going. So it is with everyone born of the Spirit. (for the full message, and others, visit: Church of the Highlands).

Growing up the Holy Spirit was spoken of only in passing, recognized as perhaps a distant relative. But as I've grown over the past years I've learned that he is very real, vital, this wind, breath that lives inside of me. He is powerful, he helps me, counsels me, and as I allow him to work in my life I realize that my words and actions are breath of life to others. I don't always know how the Spirit is going to work, but when I am submitted to his power I can rest assured that he will move in ways seen and unseen, soften hearts, prepare them to hear truth. All I have to do is be obedient, which, granted, is usually easier said than done. The Spirit will prompt us to do things that require us to die to our flesh and perhaps speaks words to folks that don't always make sense to us contextually. And as we allow this wind to blow through us we begin to see change in the world around us. Not because of what we can do on our own, but because He who is in us is greater than he who is in the world. Embrace the Spirit's work in your life today, invite him to use you as breath of life to those around you.

I highly recommend Pastor Chris Hodges's book: Fresh Air. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment