Thursday, November 8, 2012

days of praise: those 3 words

I forgive you.

Forgiveness is hard to offer. So often we feel justified in our anger and bitterness towards someone--harsh words were spoken, gossip spread, perhaps something was done that hurt us physically or emotionally. The truth is we have all done something(s) to hurt someone(s), whether intentionally or not. And, I find that I so often judge others based on their actions, but I want to be judged on my motives. "I didn't mean to" is easy to say, but it's often hard to believe from others. It's often hard to see the heart through the hurt.

Forgiveness is not saying that what the person did was okay. Forgiveness is not saying that we agree with the words spoken or the actions of the offender. Forgiveness is a way that we release ourselves and others from the thought space that is being wasted harboring offenses. And in the releasing we are allowing ourselves to, yet again, receive from the Lord. To receive love and offer love.

Whenever you stand praying, forgive if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father who is in heaven will also forgive you your transgression.But if you do not forgive, neither will your Father who is in heaven forgive your transgressions. -Mark 11:25-26

Then Peter came and said to Him, "Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me and I forgive him? Up to seven times?" Jesus said to him, "I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven." -Matthew 18:21-22

Freely we receive endless forgiveness from our heavenly Father. The price was paid on the cross. So why do we harbor unforgiveness? Lord, help us to be a people who put our pride aside and freely forgive, as you so graciously pour your forgiveness out to us.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment