Saturday, November 3, 2012

days of praise: full to overflowing

As each one has received a special gift, employ it in serving one another as good stewards of the manifold grace of God. -1 Peter 4:10

Graciously we have each been given unique giftings and talents, and it is in the pouring out of these gifts that we ourselves become refreshed. Serving is an honor when it is a natural extension of who we are, when it is viewed not as a have to but rather as a get to. I love stepping into life-giving environments where there always seems to be an air of easiness. Not that the work itself is easy, but people are busy doing what they love. Relationships happen naturally in these environments and everyone is encouraged to get involved and serve according to their gifts. Refreshed people exude joy and love and offer their gifts as sacrifices of praise, blessing those around them as they overflow with the blessings the Lord has given them. It's a blessing cycle; we receive in order to give. I love how Pastor Chris explains empowering environments:

Environments where those over you don't see your potential become life-draining situations very quickly. On the other hand, empowering environments will challenge you to your core in an atmosphere of encouragement. They will allow you to try--and even fail--and just keep trying. In order to live a "breath of fresh air" life, you will have to eliminate events, activities, and relationships that don't contribute to who you are and what you're about. When you discover your identity and unique gifts and then become empowered to exercise them, you need to prioritize and focus on what matters most, those things you're called to do that no one else can do. -Chris Hodges, Fresh Air

Recently I found myself feeling drained and tired, basically going through the motions. I often feel as though I'm spinning my wheels as most of what is required of me in my job takes me outside of my naturals gifts and strengths. I was talking about this with a friend one night and what I got was a big dose of truth in love. You are a high capacity leader and you have sidelined yourself. You know your gifts and you need to be serving in them--that's how you are going to be refreshed. He's right. I need to be serving, bending, pouring out to others. I cannot let difficulties take my focus off of serving the very ones I'm called to love. I hope you have friends in your life that know you, speak truth in love and spur you on in your calling.

The devil loves when we feel defeated, weighed down, and stop serving the Lord with zeal. Knowing our weaknesses is just important as knowing our strengths. We all have weaknesses that we need to improve with the help of others and the Lord and often as we grow and mature our weaknesses become strengths. However, we must also recognize the unique qualities that the Lord has given us and use them to for his Kingdom work.

Thank you, Father, for your lavish love. Thank you for your creativity in giving us each unique gifts and strengths. Please reveal and refine our gifts. May we always use them to give you praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment