Wednesday, November 28, 2012

days of praise: removing the wax

Tonight was a great reminder that I am not expected to have everything figured out and together. I taught a lesson on living a "daily bread" lifestyle to some precious women, but honestly, the lesson was for me. I so often feel like I have to be in control, never wanting to disappoint, never wanting to mess up. And really, I often cover my shortcomings and weaknesses with walls of "strength." Yet I am weak..so weak, frail.

And just like the wax used to fix imperfections in vessels, pots, vases, or mixed in with mortar for a quick and cheap fix I find that the wax I use to cover my imperfections just doesn't hold up under the pressure. Crumbling. Tumbling. It shatters to the ground, leaving behind vulnerability, an exposed surface. Tender to the touch, yet I am surrounded by people who love and care for me. In removing the wax, these places are filled with truth..solid, firm, sweet balm to my soul. And as I am filled with truth I no longer see need for the wax and masks that I so easily hide behind.

If you don't have a community I urge you to find one. A place where you can belong, remove the wax that you're covering your imperfections with, grow in your faith. You are a beautiful creation.

I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.
-Psalm 139:14

No comments:

Post a Comment