Tuesday, November 27, 2012

days of praise: favorite verse(s)

For men swear by one greater than themselves, and with them an oath given as confirmation is an end of every dispute. In the same way God, desiring even more to show to the heirs of the promise the unchangeableness of His purpose, interposed with an oath, so that by two unchangeable things in which it is impossible for God to lie, we who have taken refuge would have strong encouragement to take hold of the hope set before us. This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, a hope both sure and steadfast and one which enters within the veil, where Jesus has entered as a forerunner for us, having become a high priest forever according to the order of Melchizedek.
Hebrews 6:16-20

Have you ever been asked about your favorite verse in the Bible? I often have a hard time with this question because the Lord highlights verses for me during different seasons, giving me truth to claim and cling on to during various seasons. However, I always seem to be drawn back to this passage in Hebrews 6, captivated by the imagery of my soul be anchored by hope. This hope is not a feeling or a wish, it is nothing that I can make with my hands or do with my feet..it is a matter of the heart.

Just as a ship is held firmly in place by an anchor as the rough waves of the storms crash about, I too face rough water as I wade through various trials and tribulations of life. And, as secure as the anchor is for the ship, it is simply held into place by mere sand, rock. My hope anchor is much more steady, sure and secure, for it is immovable, it is an anchor that firmly secures my soul to the holy of holies, to an eternity spent with the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. The hope I have reminds me that this world is not all there is, but I have eternity to look forward to, a place with no more pain, suffering, tears. A place of perfect love, joy, peace. And when I have an eternal view my troubles become small because my hope is infinitely great.

May your soul be ever anchored by hope.

Do you have a favorite verse/passage?

No comments:

Post a Comment