Wednesday, November 21, 2012

days of praise: giving praise in every season

Bitterness. When it is given the opportunity to take root it will grow like a weed. A big one, with deep, thick roots. And often we deal with bitterness much like we deal with these weeds and just pull the part that we can see. Everything looks nice and manicured, put together on the surface but underneath..underneath where no one can see, there is deep rooted darkness, ugliness. Left alone, it will continue to grow deeper and stronger, literally strangling life.

There are different reasons for bitterness, I supposed, but really at the heart of bitterness is pride. We become bitter when we think that we deserve something, maybe we just simply don't understand. Why is this happening? Why isn't that? We all have areas of our life where bitterness seems to creep in: maybe it's with unemployment or broken relationships, maybe it's infertility or a serious illness. For me, it's being single. Struggling with loneliness. Not that I am alone, no. I am surrounded, both near and far, by some of the most amazing friends, I have a loving family and really I am so very loved and cared for. But, when I am walking in the flesh, there it is. Crippling.

Because, really, my struggle is with feeling that I'm dealing with unanswered prayer. Maybe he has just become deaf to this request, maybe he has forgotten the desire that he placed inside my heart, maybe he is punishing me for some past sin. The lies flood into my mind seeming to wash away reason and truth. And some of the most dangerous people to talk with, I have found, are well-meaning Christians. As I pour into women I have found that the #1 lie spoken over them is that they need to be fully satisfied in Christ and then the Lord will bring them their husband. Really? Because I don't know scripture to back that one up. We all need to be satisfied in Christ, he does promise, Whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst (John 14:4). The Bible never promises that once we attain a certain amount of satisfaction, or spiritual maturity, that he will provide a spouse. We must be careful how we encourage, not to embellish or manipulate the scriptures.

I have found that in my own struggle the Lord has opened up a way to minister to others who are struggling with this same thing. And, I rejoice in that. I understand, sweet one. It is hard. God loves you. And, just as I would pray with a woman desiring children I stand in agreement with my sisters who desire to be married.

So, I encourage you to praise him in every season that you walk through and build up those who are struggling. He is good always and his love endures forever.

..for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength.
-Philippians 4:11-13

No comments:

Post a Comment