Friday, November 23, 2012

days of praise: what's in a name?

When I lived in China I learned that the Chinese culture values name meanings. It was very common to have Chinese friends who had chosen names like Tiger, Grace and Sunny as their *American* names. (Of course they also often choose the names of their favorite American pop stars) I see this same emphasis placed on names throughout the Bible. In fact, names were often changed--Abrahm to Abraham; Sarai to Sarah; Simon to Peter--often these name changes correspond with a life change, making them completely different.

God has different names too, with very powerful meanings, and if you don't already, I suggest praying these specific names. Below are a few of the names that I use most often during prayer:

  • El Olam --The Everlasting God
  • Jahovah Jireh -- The Lord will Provide
  • Jahovah Shalom -- The Lord is Peace
  • Jahovah Rapha -- The Lord that Heals
  • Jahovah Nissi -- The Lord my Banner
  • Yahweh -- Lord, Jahovah
There are many other names for the Lord and I strongly suggest studying these names. Names act as a source of identification; they are also act as an identity. By praying individual names we give him honor in his many identities, his infinite power.

There is none like You, O Lord; You are great, and great is Your name in might.
-Jeremiah 10:6

No comments:

Post a Comment