Friday, November 2, 2012

days of praise: powerful words

Death and life are in the power of the tongue... -Proverbs 18:21

Words will never hurt me, a phrase from a popular children's chant, a lie. Words hurt people, and we learn this at a very young age. Children and adults alike know how to use words to cut others down. After all, hurting people hurt people.

I had been assigned a new program and was meeting with a prospect at a local coffee shop. I opened my brochures and began explaining our exciting new opportunity to serve in Asia, teaching Spanish. "You are the most disrespectful person I have ever met." I looked up, shocked, confused, appologetic. The words spewed out of his mouth like vomit. My spirit was crushed. I received every word, every lie spoken in those 5 minutes.

The thing is, I have been equipped in helping others find freedom from lies spoken over them. Yet still I received those words and, if even for a few short hours, believed them. I am so blessed to work with amazing men and women who rallied around me, praying and speaking truth over me. Where I was weak alone, my community was strong. Unfortunately, I know that I, too, have hurt others with harsh, flippant words. And, I'm sure that you, too, have been hurt by words. Receive these words today:

You are the head and not the tail,
above and not beneath.
You are fearfully and wonderfully made.
You are the apple of His eye.
You are precious in His sight.
You are so deeply loved by perfect, unfailing Love
that He sent His beloved to die for you.

Lord, you tell us in James 3 that the tongue, a small member of the body, has the potential to be destructive as fire. Set a guard, O Lord, over our mouths, keep watch over the doors of our lips. (Ps 141:3) Help us use our tongues wisely and, instead, speak words that are pleasant, sweet to the soul and healing to the bones. (Prov. 16:24) And let us be a people known for encouraging one another and speaking truth in love. Truly, let the words of our mouths and the meditation of our hearts be acceptable in your sight, O Lord, our rock and our Redeemer. (Ps 19:14)

No comments:

Post a Comment